Awesöme Orchestra Collective plays everything from Stravinsky to The Simpsons in fun places all over the Bay. Learn more at www.awesomeorchestra.org.
Awesöme Orchestra seeks a skilled, creative, ambitious person to join our small, part-time staff. The Director of Development is responsible for the fundraising, grant writing, and some operations of the orchestra.
An average of 15–20 hours a month, with some flexibility to work variable hours each month. Paid by the hour as an independent contractor (benefits are not included and taxes are not withheld from paycheck). Position pays $20 an hour.
- Love of live music and community events
- Excellent writing skills including proofreading and editing. Can write in a style that is both clear and fun
- Quick learner
- Flexible schedule—ideal for a freelancer
- Have your own computer
- Able to work efficiently remotely and complete tasks on deadline (ability to work portion of hours at shared office work space in Downtown Oakland a possibility if preferred)
- Motivated to think creatively about how Awesöme Orchestra can get even more awesome and improve our business model
- Experience working for a non-profit
- Experience playing orchestral music
- Experience in grant writing and fundraising
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience using Google Drive apps
- Know how to type an ö
- Create and lead strategic plans of the orchestra’s development
- Plan and execute fundraisers
- Plan donation strategy for live events, and re-evaluate existing strategy
- Research grant opportunities
- Write grant proposals
- Follow-through on grant requirements
- Obtain sponsorships (in-kind and monetary)
- Maintain good relationships with supporters, volunteers and community members
- Report to Founding Artistic Director
- Meet with Awesöme Orchestra staff monthly
- Assist with operations and events as needed
- Assist with planning and managing an epic 5-year Anniversary Party (currently scheduled for Saturday, May 26, 2018) and End-of-Year Concert (currently scheduled for Sunday, December 9, 2018)
- Solicit and engage volunteers as needed
- Log working hours
Work with a great team to make awesome musical adventures possible!
Email a cover letter and resume by Friday, January 12 to David Möschler at email@example.com with “Director of Development Application” in the subject line.
Contract period: February 1–July 31 (6 months with potential to renew)
*Note, we are also currently hiring for a Director of Communications. We will consider the same candidate for both positions. Please let us know if you are applying to both.