WHEN: Saturday, 26 April 2014 - 12:00-2:30pm
IMPORTANT - NOTE CHANGE IN LOCATION!
WHERE: Frank Ogawa Plaza, Oakland CA (at the corner of Broadway and 14th St.)
To PARTICIPATE, sign up on the new Google Form (we just made the switch over from Doodle and we think you'll like the new form) with your name and instrument(s).
We'll also have hard copies of the music. Parts can be found on Google Drive.
FLASH MOB INSTRUCTIONS
- Pick any BART station most convenient for you.
- Board the last car of any BART train heading towards 12th St. BART station as close to 12:00pm or right after (i.e. the 12:03 train, but not the 11:58 train). This will ensure all players at each station will travel together and arrive in waves, rather than all at once. (You can also just meet at Frank Ogawa Plaza if that's easiest for you.)
- Once on the train and comfortably seated, start playing Terry Riley's In C at your own pace.
- In C IS AN EXTREMELY UNIQUE PIECE - PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THE SINGLE PAGE OF MUSIC, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, AND LISTEN TO AN EXAMPLE.
- If other passengers (or an officer) ask you to stop playing, please respect their wishes and either move to the next train or just wait to resume playing once you arrive at 12th St. Station.
- If passengers are interested and inquiring, hand them a postcard and tell them you're headed to a free Awesome Orchestra flashmob at Frank Ogawa Plaza right now. If anyone is recording tell them to post to our wall and/or tag us with #awesomeorchestra or #AOCflashmob hashtags.
- Get off at 12th St. BART station (while playing Terry Riley's In C)
- Once you arrive on the platform, pause where you are in the piece, walk upstairs to the courtyard area directly above the large escalator in the NW corner of the BART station which puts you out right into the courtyard in front of city hall at the corner of Broadway and 14th St., and resume playing with other musicians wherever you left off.
12:30 - 2:30pm - once In C has finished, we'll play through the following pieces in roughly this order:
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 7 - movement II
- Berlioz - "March to the Scaffold" from Symphonie Fantastique
- Holst - "Jupiter - Bringer of Jollity" from The Planets
- Ravel - Bolero
- John Williams - Stars Wars Suite (selections)
After it's over, take a break and grab some food while we set up for our Epic, Awesome Orchestra Lock-in and All-Night Marathon Session at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley from 7:00pm-1:00am that evening. Then come join us for as long as you like for free Lagunitas beer and free AOC beer koozies! Read more about this event here.
If you have questions about part assignments or the process, contact our Awesöme Ambassadors.
PLEASE BRING A MUSIC STAND! We'll not only provide sheet music, but also nice new stand clips from musicmaide.com! However, we will only have a limited number of plastic chairs (around 35), so if you aren't comfortable standing while playing for short periods of time, please try to bring a small stool.
Some instruments will obviously be more awkward for people carrying their instruments, cases, music stands, and something to sit on if needed, so invest in some type of lyre, or bring a friend that can help, or better yet, make friends with someone on the train and ask them to help hold your music! Better still, devise an even more creative solution!
This Flash Mob (like our sessions) is not by audition. However, it is super important to be honest about your ability to play each piece or part proficiently to keep the experience as exciting as possible. Contact your section's ambassador if you have questions.
We would love to see everyone who has ever played with us (or wanted to!) at this special event. Looking forward to seeing you all there!